Customer Service FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions about City of Memphis
- What are your office hours?
- Why is my bill higher this month than it was last month?
- May I pay my utility bill by credit card, or debit card?
- What other methods are available by which to pay my utility bill?
- Must I come into the office to set up my account?
- When is garbage picked up in my neighborhood?
- Do I have to use the trash service?
- If I am required to pay a deposit when I connect service, when will it be refunded?
- Do you have a program in which I can pay the same amount each month?
- Credit and Collection information
What are your office hours?Our office hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 am until 4:00 pm. The City of Memphis-City Hall may be contacted by phone at (660)465-7285.
Why is my bill higher this month than it was last month?There are several reasons a bill may be higher. The number of days in the billing period fluctuate from month to month. The weather conditions vary from month to month which means the heating and air conditioning usage will vary. The billing also runs a month behind, so that can make a difference, also. Additional members in the household or a visitor for an extended period of time will result in additional usage. Additional appliances, changing from gas to electric heat and watering a lawn or garden for the first time will cause bills to be higher.
May I pay my utility bill by credit card, or debit card?You may pay using your VISA, MasterCard, or debit card, by clicking on “Online Payments” or by calling 660-465-7285. A convenience fee will be charged for this service by the third party provider.
What other methods are available by which to pay my utility bill?
- The City of Memphis has a convenient bank draft option available. Customers have the option of the bill being drafted on the 3rd of the month.
- Customers may pay through our night depository (mauve box) located in the foyer of City Hall. Payments should be in the form of check or money order. (NO CASH PLEASE!)
- Customers may mail their payments to us at 125 W Jefferson, Memphis MO 63555
- Customers may make payments inside our office. Please bring your bill.
Must I come into the office to set up my account?As a result of federal regulations and to protect your identity, it is necessary for you to come into our office and present a government issued picture identification. The process should take approximately 10-15 minutes.
When is garbage picked up in my neighborhood? Residents living east of Main Street will have their trash picked up on Fridays. Residents living west of Main Street, including those living on Main Street, will have their trash picked up on Tuesdays. There is a 4-30 gallon container limit and trash must be out by 7:00 am on trash day.
Do I have to use the trash service?The answer is Yes. The City of Memphis has mandatory trash service for all residential customers.
What if my trash isn’t picked up?Garbage pick-up is performed by the City of Memphis Sanitation Department. You may contact the City of Memphis at 660-465-7285.
If I am required to pay a deposit when I connect service, when will it be refunded?The deposit is refundable after you no longer have services with us. At the time a customer disconnects service with us and moves to another community, the deposit will be applied against the customer’s final bill. If the bill is less than the deposit, the city will refund the amount by which the deposit exceeds the bill. If the bill is more than the deposit, the city will send the customer a bill for the amount by which the bill exceeds the deposit.
Do you have a program in which I can pay the same amount each month?The City of Memphis does not offer any sort of budget billing at this point. But customers are welcome to pay extra on their bill each month to help for those months that may be higher than another.
Credit and Collection Information
- The City of Memphis is in the business of providing electric, water and wastewater services for its customers. Unlike most things you buy, you pay for your utility services after they are used. Therefore, it is the policy of the city to require deposits from its customers.
- The City of Memphis will bill customers for electric, water, and wastewater provided by the City of Memphis. Electric and water meters are read monthly.
- The customer is mailed a bill each month for these services. Even though different areas of the city are read at different times of the month, the bills are all billed at the same time.
- Bills are mailed out around the 28th of each month. The bills are due by the 10th of each month, by paying the “Before Due Date” amount. By paying after the 10th of the month, you will be paying the “After Due Date” amount which has a 10%penalty added.
- The 15th of each month, friendly reminders are mailed to those customers that have not paid their bills yet. These notices extend approx. another 10 days. If the bills are not paid by this date, the service is subject to disconnection the following business day.
- If the service is disconnected, the bill, and a reconnection charge must be paid before service will be reconnected. The reconnection fee will vary depending on when the services are restored.